Steam: bennysoo
Wii: 0384-8082-7959-9771
Xbox Live: S7th
Origin ID: bennysoo

Re: 1.2 patch article

Postby Benny » Mar 6th, 2012, 4:57 pm

Sean415 wrote:http://m.ign.com/articles/1219843

a nerf for the Bounty Hunter
A new tier of armor will be made available in 1.2 for both PvP and PvE end game sets

TWO WTF SONS OF A BEACH NGA MOVES! Widen the gap of gear so newcomers get alienated! Then come out with an expansion to raise levels by 5 or 10 and offer class quest rewards to outshine the level 50 gear... I CALLED IT HERE FIRST! QUOTE ME ON THIS!
[b]PSN: Dreampiece | 360: S7th | Wii: 0384-8082-7959-9771 | Steam: bennysoo | Origin: bennysoo

Tim
Dreampiece RO Member
Dreampiece RO Member

Postby Tim » Mar 6th, 2012, 6:22 pm

So it really is going to be like wow in which all the gear you get will be replaced within 2-3 months from a new tier?

Benny
Dreampiece Founder
PSN: Dreampiece

Postby Benny » Mar 7th, 2012, 8:19 am

Tim wrote:So it really is going to be like wow in which all the gear you get will be replaced within 2-3 months from a new tier?

I have no idea, but gear are modifiable so in ways you can wear level 10 gear and be viable at level 50 with the right mods. So you can look the way you want potentially. I just hate gear tiers in general... which every game seems to have except for RO, Diablo, and maybe some other low budget games.
[b]PSN: Dreampiece | 360: S7th | Wii: 0384-8082-7959-9771 | Steam: bennysoo | Origin: bennysoo

macfoo
Troll Clan Champion

Postby macfoo » Mar 8th, 2012, 11:05 am

i don't have a problem with anything addressed in the article; in fact, I'm generally happy with the directions the game seems to be taking. I understand what benny is saying about new tiers alienating new level 50s, but I don't really see a problem there. For pve, It seems perfectly reasonable that you start with the easier stuff and progress towards the harder stuff, especially considering how fast and easy end-game gear can be acquired. A new level 50 can be sufficiently geared for hard modes within a week or so of hitting level 50. but what is the problem with earning your way to the highest tiers via putting in some work?

The issue is more of a problem in pvp, because getting owned by players in the highest tier pvp gear just sucks -- there is really nothing you can do but lay down, open your mouth, and try to enjoy getting your face raped. however, I believe they are tempering this problem in 1.2 by adding a lower tier of purchasable (level 50 blue items, I believe) in order to alleviate the pain of fresh level 50 pvpers. firthermore, in swtor, because of fairly brutal diminishing returns on stats most stats, including expertise, the difference between someone with 400 expertise and 600 expertise is not that great. of course, battlemasters have an advantage, but good players with some expertise are certainly competitive in warzones. and, as with the pve gear, a new level 50 can acquire a lot of pvp gear very fast and be competitive within a week or two.

sure, it is annoying to have highest tier gear replaced by quest rewards when the level cap is raised, but what else could be done? this has never actually bothered me. to me, an expansion is basically a sequel, starting all over again. if i enjoy the game, I am very happy to have the chance to basically start over again. if wow never expanded past level 60, gave us new gear and stats to work towards, the vast majority of people would have stopped playing many years ago...

Benny
Dreampiece Founder
PSN: Dreampiece

Postby Benny » Mar 8th, 2012, 11:32 am

macfoo wrote:i don't have a problem with anything addressed in the article; in fact, I'm generally happy with the directions the game seems to be taking. I understand what benny is saying about new tiers alienating new level 50s, but I don't really see a problem there. For pve, It seems perfectly reasonable that you start with the easier stuff and progress towards the harder stuff, especially considering how fast and easy end-game gear can be acquired. A new level 50 can be sufficiently geared for hard modes within a week or so of hitting level 50. but what is the problem with earning your way to the highest tiers via putting in some work?

Getting fully geared players to want to do old content that has zero benefits for them is what I kinda mean with PVE progression. For example, FFXI had the level sync options to get merit points for leveling down and exping with lowbie guildies to use on something. Right now for example you have a full set of Rakkata gear, what motivation do you have to do a raid that you have done numerous times already with no benefit to yourself? Not everyone has the mentality of helping others... which leads to a problem.

The issue is more of a problem in pvp, because getting owned by players in the highest tier pvp gear just sucks -- there is really nothing you can do but lay down, open your mouth, and try to enjoy getting your face raped. however, I believe they are tempering this problem in 1.2 by adding a lower tier of purchasable (level 50 blue items, I believe) in order to alleviate the pain of fresh level 50 pvpers. firthermore, in swtor, because of fairly brutal diminishing returns on stats most stats, including expertise, the difference between someone with 400 expertise and 600 expertise is not that great. of course, battlemasters have an advantage, but good players with some expertise are certainly competitive in warzones. and, as with the pve gear, a new level 50 can acquire a lot of pvp gear very fast and be competitive within a week or two.

This is actually less of a problem... PVP right now is more about who has more time on their hands to get the gear. Hopefully Ranked will have something special that rewards skill over just who has the most time on their hands.

sure, it is annoying to have highest tier gear replaced by quest rewards when the level cap is raised, but what else could be done? this has never actually bothered me. to me, an expansion is basically a sequel, starting all over again. if i enjoy the game, I am very happy to have the chance to basically start over again. if wow never expanded past level 60, gave us new gear and stats to work towards, the vast majority of people would have stopped playing many years ago...

This is what I am brainstorming to solve in my head... and believe me it is a tough question. Basically I can see Wakfu surpassing SWTOR's longevity with the nation wars and ecoterrorist attacks. Since Wakfu's content relies heavily on the community... the game becomes more dynamic and fun even when there are no more levels. You can become and outlaw and when you get killed you go to jail! You can make people's monsters in their area go extinct! The gearing system is much like RO as well which gear are so different from each other that sometimes at level 40 wearing a level 12 item is very ideal due to the rarity of the benefits from the item vs just a mathematical increasing stats system like what most traditional MMOs seem to use. Right now there are ZERO reasons for one to use a level 49 weapon over a level 50 one. What I crave for in SWTOR hopefully is that their gear will be more than just predictable stat points tossed on and incremented per level/tier. I can predict that the new PVP weapons will just be +7ish of every current stat of your existing item. I hope you understand what I am getting at :happy:

Sadly in traditional MMOs... the endgame is more like done it once... done it all. Same stuff different spin every expansion regarding raids. Hopefully they will add a more dynamic gameplay in the PVE front that would entice me more to touch it. PVP is so random each game that it is something enjoyable to me, PVE raids not so much because you have a systematic way of winning.

Also on a more positive note:

Return to “Star Wars: The Old Republic”